Skill in roasting is critical for the resulting beverage to please. It is a process controlled by scientific laws, but the outcome is strictly in the hands of man.
Gillies is a "Perfect Point" roaster. We believe that every coffee has its own special degree of roast that brings out just the qualities that we want to find in the cup. Our roasting credo has been likened to Goldilocks; Not too dark, not too light, just right. If you think its kid's play you are mistaken. It has taken us countless hours of small batch craft roasting and cupping to find the perfect roast point for each coffee in the Gillies collection.
There are many terms used to describe degree-of-roast. We have simplified things. Gillies production roasts are one of four color groups. Gillies Standard, Rich Dark II, Rich Dark III, Rich Dark IV. All but one of our products are in the first three groups. As for taste, even our boldest selections are civilized. They are presented to you tamed for the discerning palate. Some of our selection is correctly "rare" even "exotic," but they are never "wild". DNS, Coffeeman
Gillies Coffee Company operates a unique specialty coffee facility. The heart of the operation is an environmentally friendly Lilla Model CG-20 S natural gas fired smokeless roasting system with self cleaning and integral chaff elimination. At Gillies, our old fashioned hand-tended roasting technique is enhanced by computerization, not replaced by it. We produce batch yields from 165Kg-235 Kg. Roasting cycles are approximately 12-minutes. Following the European standard (there is none in the USA) residual coffee moisture content is controlled under 5%.
The plant design permits optimum flexibility by incorporating the use of 19th Century style hands-on craftsmanship throughout. "My friend, Mr. Schoenholt, who is known to be a stickler for detail in the preparation of his coffees, has spared nothing in bringing the force of good minds and the best of roasting and handling technology to bear in this project," said Ciro Lilla, the man many consider one of the most knowledgeable in the world's coffee roaster business.
Skill in roasting is critical for the resulting beverage to please. It is a process controlled by scientific laws, but the outcome is strictly in the hands of man. Gillies is a Perfect Point roaster. A phrase invented by us to describe our philosophy that every coffee has its own special degree of roast that brings out just the qualities that we want to find in the cup. Our roasting credo has been likened to Goldilocks; not too dark, not too light, just right. if you think its kid's play you are mistaken. it has taken us countless hours of small batch craft roasting and cupping to find the perfect roast point for each coffee in the Gillies collection. -DNS, coffeeman
Sustainability is more than making sure kids in coffee countries have what it takes to grow-up strait and strong, though that is important surely. It is a concerted effort to do the right thing when the opportunity presents itself.
Sustainability is supporting programs that protect the environment and people. Sometimes the world coffee economy and common production practice works against nature and man. Where this happens people of good will must take a stand to protect the endangered.
- First Licensed New York City Roaster of Fair Trade® Certified Coffee (2002) www.transfairusa.org
- First to Introduce Swiss Water® Chemical Free Decaffeinated to USA (1980) www.swisswater.com
- Participant Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center (SMBC) "Bird Friendly Shade Grown Coffee Program" www.si.edu/smbc
- Original Supporter Coffee Kids® www.coffeekids.org
- Original Supporter Grounds For Health Inc. www.groundsforhealth.org
- Wildlife Conservation Society one time $5,000 gift supporting Papua New Guinea Shade Grown Coffee Program to preserve the PNG Rain Forest.
Sustainability is not just a word for far away places. It is a quality beyond a good bean, and a good roast. It is supporting our New York community and our crew too.
- First pollution control devices on processing 1953.
- Provided free coffee to workers at Ground Zero for six months after 9/11.
- Supporting local charitable organizations with in-kind contributions of coffee.
- Supported NYC Council Resolution 762 in support of Fair Trade Coffee. Read Mr. Schoenholt’s Testimony before the NY City Council, http://www.blog.fairtradenyc.org/?page_id=12
- Gillies Facility NOP Organic Certified.
- Gillies Employees-Group Medical Coverage since 1970's.
for our wholesale customers
We only succeed in sustaining our own fortunes if we are helping sustain yours as well. For this reason we make every effort to present you with the results of our best efforts.
- Coffees & Teas of certified pedigree.
- Among the largest portfolios of coffees in the specialty coffee industry.
- Best quality blends money can buy at the best possible price.
- Monthly Specials (always "Best Selling" blends).
- Unadvertised Promotional Items: Some extra special specialty coffee values available to callers each month.
- Ultimate coffee expertise at your fingertips.
- Orders shipped at the peak of freshness often same-day.
- Unopened standard items accepted for Full-Return value within 30-days of invoice.
- Resealable evacuated and "flushed" zipper-lock valve bags keep your beans protected in a nitrogen atmosphere.
- Primary shipper FedEx computerized service tracks your order to your door.
- $100 Minimum Order, and always Free-Freight shipping in continental 48-United States.
- Gillies handsome wall poster.
- Gillies accepts MasterCard, Visa, American Express, PayPal.
Your privacy is important to us. To better protect your privacy we provide this notice explaining our online information practices and the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used. To make this notice easy to find, we make it available on our homepage and at every point where personally identifiable information may be requested.
The Information We Collect:
This notice applies to all information collected or submitted on the Gillies Coffee website. On some pages, you can order products, make requests, and register to receive materials. The types of personal information collected at these pages are:
Name Address Email addressPhone number (etc.)
On some pages, you can submit information about other people. For example, if you order a gift online and want it sent directly to the recipient, you will need to submit the recipient's address. In this circumstance, the types of personal information collected are:
Name AddressPhone number (etc.)
The Way We Use Information:
We use the information you provide about yourself when placing an order only to complete that order. We do not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to complete that order.
We use the information you provide about someone else when placing an order only to ship the product and to confirm delivery. We do not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to complete that order.
We offer gift-cards by which you can personalize a product you order for another person. Information you provide to us to create a gift-card is only used for that purpose, and it is only disclosed to the person receiving the gift.
We use return email addresses to answer the email we receive. Such addresses are not used for any other purpose and are not shared with outside parties.
You can register with our website if you would like to receive our catalog as well as updates on our new products and services. Information you submit on our website will not be used for this purpose unless you fill out the registration form.
We use non-identifying and aggregate information to better design our website and to share with advertisers. For example, we may tell an advertiser that X number of individuals visited a certain area on our website, or that Y number of men and Z number of women filled out our registration form, but we would not disclose anything that could be used to identify those individuals.
Finally, we never use or share the personally identifiable information provided to us online in ways unrelated to the ones described above without also providing you an opportunity to opt-out or otherwise prohibit such unrelated uses.
Our Commitment To Data Security:
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.Our Commitment To Children's Privacy:
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. For that reason, we never collect or maintain information at our website from those we actually know are under 13, and no part of our website is structured to attract anyone under 13. How You Can Access Or Correct Your Information:
You can access all your personally identifiable information that we collect online and maintain by logging in and clicking on my account in the above menu. We use this procedure to better safeguard your information.
How To Contact Us:
Should you have other questions or concerns about these privacy policies, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
KOSHER COFFEE CERTIFICATION
Gillies Coffees Are Certified Kosher Throughout The Year*
Orthodox Jewish Council
Pikesville, MD 21208 USA
|* Passover Certification is obtained each year for Regular and Decaffeinated Coffee only.
Please contact us prior to Passover if you require copies of our special Passover certification.